MISSION COMPETENCY COACHING PROGRAM 2023
Objective: To equip leaders and members of the church to develop competencies for kingdom business in sharing their faith with others and to remain faithful disciples of Christ.
Theme Text:2 Timothy 4:2-5
2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. 5 But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
Spirit of Prophecy Quotation:
“If every Seventh-day Adventist had done the work laid upon him, the number of believers would now be much larger than it is” (Testimonies, vol. 9, page 25).
The Coaching Program:
Coaching is a practice in which the coach and the person being coached (coachee) collaborate to assess and understand the person that is being coached, the person’s need for development and to help the person to develop capacity to achieve goals and to maintain effectiveness.
The goal of this coaching program is to assist the leaders and members of the Church to improve effectiveness in the area of soul winning and retention of members within the Church.
Members of the churches will be recruited to participate in this mission competency program to lead and influence others to accept Christ as their Savior and remain committed to Him as members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. It is not a program that is foisted upon every member of the church, though it is anticipated that every member would develop an interest to participate. Members will volun
tarily determines their willingness to participate.
Three key concepts of the Coaching Framework
1. The relationship – the context within which the coaching occurs between the coach and the persons being coached (coachee).
2. Assessment, Challenge, and Support – These are the core elements that foster the development of the coachees’ competencies. Each coachee will complete a simple personal assessment inventory relevant to their competency in leading souls to Christ.
3. Results – This is the measurable goals or visible outcomes that the coaching process focuses on achieving. It includes behavioral change in the way members relate to the mission of leading souls to Christ and the actual numeric results of people being won to Christ and remain faithful disciples.
Executing the Program
Selection and training of Coaches:
- Each Union shall select a team of persons to serve as mission competency coaches. These persons will complete the certifying program of the Division for mission competency coaching.
- Each local field shall select a team of persons to serve as mission competency coaches. These persons will complete the certifying program of the Union for mission competency coaching. Personnel of the Division will assist the Union team in the certifying program of the local fields team members.
- Each pastor and selected members from each church or pastoral district shall complete the mission competency certifying program. The team from the Union will support the local field mission competency coaching team in the certifying program of the pastors and selected members from e
ach church or pastoral district who will serve as the coaches.
- Each certified coach (pastor and selected member from each church or pastoral district) shall administer the coaching program to the leaders and members of the church according to the specified tracks outlined below.
- The coaching program administered at the local church and pastoral district levels shall have both a theoretical and a practical area before persons are able to achieve certification for effective completion of the program.
- Coaches can establish agreement with local churches to conduct coaching sessions jointly with other churches, especially in the case of smaller churches.
Resource Materials for the Mission Competency Coaching Program:
- The Holy Bible
- The Book: “A Practical Guide to Evangelism How To Win And Keep Members” Balvin Braham
- The Book: “Transforming Lives” Melchor Ferreyra